Pharmacy: Explore the Field
Session 4: Full; waiting list is available to accepted students interested in the course
Where do you see yourself in ten years? If pharmacy just crossed your mind, our Pharmacy: Explore the Field course is an extraordinary opportunity to explore whether the pharmaceutical field is right for you. No matter what area of pharmacy you pursue, the underlying theme of pharmacy practice is to help people live healthier lives. Whether it be in a community pharmacy, hospital pharmacy or the pharmaceutical industry, pharmacists play a major role is assisting patients, clients and other health professionals in the proper use of medications to provide the best outcome for patient health.
Pharmacists hold a unique knowledge and skill-set that is valued by other health care providers and the public. A pharmacy career is diverse and rewarding, with opportunities for patient care, scientific research and innovation. The UConn Pre-College Summer course in pharmacy provides students with an overview of the many career opportunities available to graduates of pharmacy programs and the path followed to achieve goals. This course will incorporate lectures, hands-on learning activities, guest lecturers and field trips all facilitated by UConn professors who are highly experienced in the field.
The pharmaceutical field offers a multitude of specializations for pharmacists including working at pharmaceutical companies, state and federal agencies, the insurance sector, within the military, hospitals, communities and academic settings.
- Jill Fitzgerald, Pharm.D., Associate Clinical Professor, UConn School of Pharmacy
- Andrea Hubbard, PhD, Associate Professor of Pharmacology & Toxicology, UConn School of Pharmacy
- Robin Bogner, PhD, Professor of Pharmaceutics, UConn School of Pharmacy
- Laura Nolan, CPhT, CSPT, Instructional Laboratory Coordinator, UConn School of Pharmacy
- Philip Hritcko, Pharm.D., Associate Clinical Professor of Pharmacy Practice, UConn School of Pharmacy