This exciting course will focus on Animal Health and Veterinary Science. The core of the program will take place at Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, CT where students will have the opportunity to utilize the Aquarium as a living laboratory. This hands-on course will have students learning from and working alongside aquarium research scientists, veterinarians, veterinary technicians and animal rescue staff. Students will learn through case studies of animals at Mystic Aquarium including beluga whales, penguins, seals, reptiles and fishes.
Primary areas of study will include:
- Genetics - the importance of genetic diversity in marine animal populations
- Hematology - how the components of blood can be utilized to gain information on an animal’s health
- Microbiology - how common bacteria affect marine animals and their health
- Pathology and Anatomy - effects of disease, through participation in a detailed necropsy (animal autopsy)
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about the wide variety of careers both at Mystic Aquarium and beyond in animal health and veterinary science, from staff in all stages of their careers.
- Work with the animal rescue team to learn how we care for and what we learn from, the seals that strand along the New England coastline.
- Participate in behind the scenes tours of Mystic Aquarium to see where the animal care and veterinary staff work every day.
- Tour the state of the art Wiederhold Animal Care Center at Mystic Aquarium.
- Tour the Mystic Aquarium research labs located at UConn, Avery Point.
Transportation: The course involves frequent off-site visits to Mystic Aquarium and the UConn, Avery Point Campus. Supervised transportation is provided by the program and is included in the course cost and fees.
Note: Parents/guardians and students will be required to submit Mystic Aquarium participation forms prior to attending this course.
- Laura Thompson, PhD, Research Fellow, Assistant Professor in Residence of UConn Marine Sciences
- Maureen Driscoll, PhD, Research Fellow, Assistant Professor in Residence of UConn Marine Sciences
- Mystic Aquarium Animal Care & Veterinary Services Team
- Mystic Aquarium Education & Conservation Team
Lab Fee: $250.00