Pre-Med: Explore the Medical Field
Is Medicine the right career for you?
Medicine is a long term commitment and requires many years of training. For many students, it is a dilemma to decide whether medicine is their career path. In this course, students are introduced to the practice of medicine and what it is like to be a physician. Students will tour the UConn John Dempsey Hospital and see how a hospital functions. This course gives you an opportunity to discuss your questions and concerns directly with a variety of physicians who are passionate about their work. Through these interactions, students will learn about these different career paths, and will be able to gain knowledge about their future career in a medical profession.
Within UConn’s Pre-College Summer Pre-Med academic course, students will have the opportunity to experience multiple facets of a modern health facility throughout a one-week session. The UConn Health Center is a vibrant, integrated academic medical facility that is entering an era of unprecedented growth in all three areas of its mission: academics, research, and clinical care.
Throughout the week students will have the opportunity to learn from UConn Health faculty and staff in different fields of medicine and medical procedures including:
- Practice of basic skills, e.g. taking pulse, blood pressure,
- Listening to the heart and lungs
- Common examinations, including workshop for ear and eye exam
- Workshop on conducting a mock code in our state of the art simulation center (SIM)
- Brief overview of selected topics in different specialties, e.g. cardiology, pulmonology, and gastroenterology.
- Exclusive virtual anatomy session using the Anatomage Virtual Cadaver*: state-of-the-art technology displaying life-size virtual cadavers, allowing students to view gross anatomy in axial, sagittal, and coronal slices with full control over the clipping plane.
Transportation: Pre-Med cohort students will be provided daily supervised University transportation from the Storrs campus to the UConn Health Center in Farmington, CT, returning to the Storrs campus at the end of each day. Pre-Med cohort students will be at the UConn Health Center Monday through Friday mornings and Monday through Thursday afternoons.
At a Glance:
- Session 1: June 28th - July 4th
- Session 2: July 5th - July 11th
- Session 3: July 12th - July 18th
- Session 4: July 19th - July 25th
Location: UConn Health Center
Supplemental Lab Fee: $250.00
- Pre-Med: Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Pre-Med: Medical Anthropology and Global Health
- Pre-Med: Pathology (Injury and Trauma)
- Pre-Med: Psychology and Neuroscience