Pre-Med: Explore the Medical Field
Is Medicine the right career for you?
Medicine is a long term commitment and requires many years of training. For many students, it is a dilemma to decide whether medicine is their career path. In this course, students are introduced to the practice of medicine and what it is like to be a physician. Students will tour the UConn John Dempsey Hospital and see how a hospital functions. This course gives you an opportunity to discuss your questions and concerns directly with physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants, all of whom are passionate about their work. Through these interactions, students will learn about these different career paths, and will be able to gain knowledge about their future career in a medical profession.
Within UConn’s Pre-College Summer Pre-Med academic course, students will have the opportunity to experience multiple facets of a modern health facility throughout a one-week session. The UConn Health Center is a vibrant, integrated academic medical facility that is entering an era of unprecedented growth in all three areas of its mission: academics, research, and clinical care.
Throughout the week students will have the opportunity to learn from UConn Health faculty and staff in different fields of medicine and medical procedures including:
- Practice of basic skills, e.g. taking pulse, blood pressure
- Common examinations, including workshop for ear and eye exam
- Workshop on conducting a mock code in our state of the art simulation center (SIM)
- Brief overview of selected topics in different specialties, e.g. surgery, pulmonology, cardiology, infectious disease (please review the schedule as all specialties will not be offered in all sessions)
- Exclusive session with George Wu, MD, PhD (gastroenterology) with opportunity to try out endoscopy (All sessions)
- Select sessions with medical professionals including Dr. Kavita Advani (Primary Care) (All sessions), and Dr. Rebecca Andrews (Internal Medicine) (Session 1 & 2)
Transportation: Pre-Med cohort students will be provided daily supervised University transportation from the Storrs campus to the UConn Health Center in Farmington, CT, returning to the Storrs campus at the end of each day. Pre-Med cohort students will be at the UConn Health Center Monday through Friday mornings and Monday through Thursday afternoons.
At a Glance:
- Session 1: July 7 – July 13
- Session 2: July 14 – July 20
- Session 3: July 21 – July 27
- Session 4: July 28 – August 3
Location: UConn Health Center
Supplemental Lab Fee: $200.00