Food Science and Technology
Explore the field of food science!
We make numerous decisions about food products every single day. Understanding the science and technology behind food products helps us to make healthy food choices. Not only does this translate to our everyday lives, but it can also pave the way to an interesting career path that combines science, nutrition, healthy safety and best of all, food. The field of food science and technology includes food microbiology and safety, food quality assurance, food engineering and technology, food chemistry, product and formulation development, food packaging, sensory evaluation, food marketing, and food regulations.
In this 1-week introductory course, students will learn:
- Basic terminologies and concepts of food production
- Modern technologies used in the food industry
- Physical and chemical changes in food products during storage
- Key practices to assure the quality, safety, and palatability of raw and cooked foods
- General facts and relevant food regulations that consumers should be aware of
- Career opportunities in the field of food and nutrition
This course is composed of in-class lectures and hands-on laboratory experiments to help students turn their knowledge of the principles of food science into practices as a food scientist.