Food Science and Technology
Explore the field of food science
You make decisions over numerous food products every single day. Knowing the science and technology behind food products helps you make healthy food choices. The field of food science and technology includes food microbiology and safety, food quality assurance, food engineering and technology, food chemistry, product and formulation development, food packaging, sensory evaluation, food marketing, and food regulations.
In this 1-week introductory course, students will learn:
- basic terminologies and concepts of food production
- modern technologies used in the food industry
- physical and chemical changes in food products during storage
- key practices to assure the quality, safety, and palatability of raw and cooked foods
- general facts and relevant food regulations that consumers should be aware of
- career opportunities in the field of food and nutrition
This course is composed of in-class lectures and hands-on laboratory experiments to help students turn their knowledge of the principles of food science into practices as a food scientist.
The Department of Nutritional Sciences also offers a Pre-College Summer course “Human Nutrition and Health”, which is closely related to this course.