Department of Geosciences & UConn Pre-College Summer
Geosciences Scholarship Opportunity
UConn’s Department of Geoscience & Pre-College Summer (PCS) are excited to share a scholarship opportunity for summer 2020 with you. If awarded this scholarship students will be able to attend a week long GEOPATHS: Introduction to Geosciences course at UConn’s Storrs campus.
PCS is designed to provide rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors with a realistic preview of an academically rigorous learning environment and give them a contextual sense of what life as a university student feels like. Students will walk away with an increased sense of independence on how to navigate new situations, such as living with a roommate, eating in a residence hall, and adjusting to a new environment. In 2019, 94% of student indicated PCS provided a better understanding of college life. But you don’t have to take it from us; Take a look at our student feedback page to read about what former students have said about their experience with PCS.
The fee to participate in the GEOPATHS: Introduction to Geosciences course is $2125 and covers all course costs, meals, housing, exploratory workshops and social programming activities. Through a grant from the National Science Foundation, the GEOPATHS program will provide 8 students with a $1250 scholarship. In addition, PCS will provide an $875 scholarship which will enable students to attend at no cost.
- Student must live in CT and be entering their sophomore, junior or senior year of high school in September 2020
- Be at least 15 years of age by the start of the GEOPATHS course – July 12th
- Show evidence of good academic standing with at least a 2.0 GPA and no history of suspension
- Have demonstrated financial need. Students will be required to submit an Income Eligibility Form
- Are motivated and interested in experiencing college life before actually going to college
*Reach out to us if you have questions about your student’s eligibility to discuss their options
- Student must be sponsored by an adult who is not a parent/guardian who can vouch that the student applying is in good academic standing and socially mature to participate in PCS
- Sponsor must complete the Geopaths Sponsorship Form
- A confirmation email, which will include a code to waive the $45 application fee, will be provided after the Geopaths Sponsorship Form has been submitted. Please share this code only with the student you have chosen to apply to the scholarship when they are ready to submit their application
- Note: If you have other students interested in applying independently from this scholarship, please reach out to our office and we will provide a different code for those students to use
- The eligible student must apply to UConn Pre-College Summer. Please note:
- The completed online application, with supporting documents, must be submitted by Friday, April 20, 2020
- The application will close on the deadline or when 20 applications have been submitted, whichever comes first
- We will notify schools if 20 applications have been received before the deadline
Please note: PCS does not provide transportation to and from campus. Students attending the program must be dropped off/picked up by a parent/guardian/authorized adult and are not allowed to have a motor vehicle on campus.
For more information, please contact Nicole Hyman at email@example.com or call our office at 860-486-0149 with any questions.