Is medicine the right career for you?
Pre-Med is offered session 3 & 4. A $35 lab fee will be added to your final balance.
Sessions 3 & 4 are now full. Please see the other Pre-Med cohorts we are offering:
- Pre-Med: Intro to Human Anatomy & Physiology through Direct Examination, Simulation, and Dissection.
- Pre-Med: Intro to Kinesiology: Functional Human Movement Science through Direct Examination, Simulation, and Dissection.
- Pre-Med: Intro to Human Pathology: Injury & Trauma through Direct Examination, Simulation, and Dissection.
Other similar academic areas include: Sports Medicine, Medical Anthropology, Medicinal Chemistry & Drug Discovery, Forensic Science, & Chemistry.
Medicine is a long term commitment and requires many years of training. For many students it is a dilemma to decide whether medicine is their career path. In this course students are introduced to the practice of medicine and what it is like to be a physician. This course gives you an opportunity to discuss your questions and concerns directly with physicians who are passionate about their work.
Within UConn’s Pre-College Summer Pre-Med academic focus students will have the opportunity to experience multiple facets of a modern health facility throughout a one-week session. The UConn Health Center is a vibrant, integrated academic medical facility that is entering an era of unprecedented growth in all three areas of its mission: academics, research, and clinical care. Throughout the week students will have the opportunity to learn from UConn Health faculty and staff in different fields of medicine and medical procedures including
- Practice of basic skills.
- Common examinations.
- Brief overview of selected topics in rheumatology, gastroenterology and preventative medicine.
- Workshop demonstrating a mock “code”
Pre-Med cohort students will be provided daily supervised University transportation from the Storrs campus to the UConn Health Center in Farmington, returning to the Storrs campus at the end of each academic day. Pre-Med cohort students will be at the UConn Health Center Monday through Friday mornings and Monday through Thursday afternoons.
Note: Parents/guardians and students will be required to submit UConn Health approval forms prior to attending this cohort